Courtesy of TasteeBQ.wordpress.com
*As of now, POWER Rub appears at #3 on Google Search for “Gluten-Free BBQ Rubs”. Today the California Gold BBQ Rubs page is set to surpass 4200 Likes on Facebook.
He knew it would happen one day, but didn’t think it would come so soon. Nowadays, every new business dreams of getting hooked up on television’s most popular Business Dating Game. There he was- our superhero TasteeBQ- in the same room with the famous “Angel” Investors from the TV show “Shark Bait”. With thousands of witnesses, to boot. A few months ago, our hero attended a “Shark Bait” audition, but only got to meet with a Casting Director. It seems his new BBQ Rub Business is too small (and new) to make it onto the Big Show. You can read all about it in the previous Episode “TasteeBQ vs. The Sharks”.
For Small Business Saturday, TasteeBQ would like to thank the people who work hard to help us every day at local Small Business Administrations (SBA) and Small Business Development Centers (SBDC). They managed to work straight through the recent government shutdown, urging us to stick with business-as-usual despite the uncertainties. Now the DOW is breaking records. But that’s big business- and another story.
At six months old, POWER Rub isn’t earning million$ yet. However, the company has made great strides thanks to the agencies’ help. As well as breaks from the small restaurant and retailers who have agreed to carry the product. In fact, the first run of POWER is almost sold out and the company is ready to release a second new Rub, to be called HERO. TasteeBQ also wants to thank the other Small Businesses that have helped, including Retailers, Advisors and the Consulting Team that is currently helping him bring HERO to market. (Will name real Names at the end article).
Here are 5 of the BEST SMALL BUSINESS TIPS that have helped TasteeBQ so far:
1) Make a Business Plan– TasteeBQ should take his own advice and do an update for the new phase of the company. It is important to have a plan reflecting where you are and where you want to take your business. The SBA offers a Free Template which is easy to use (and to save) at: www.sba.gov
2) Attend Seminars/ Classes- This is another one we all can do more of. After attending a brief SBDC Orientation meeting, TasteeBQ was offered convenient morning seminars with great information for both new and expanding Small Businesses. And some of them are FREE! Even ones that charge a modest fee cost a fraction of what you would have a pay a professional consultant. To grow his company, TasteeBQ has had to hire a few consultants and they charge large Chuck$ of Change in advance.
3) Take advantage of Free Online Seminars and Webcasts. Our Superhero loves making dates to catch live Webinars from some of the Retail Industry’s brightest experts. The price is right. They are not only offered by the SBA, but free ones are also sponsored by Amazon.com, Google AdWords, American Express and Constant Contact (to name a few).
4) Get Free One-on-One Business Counseling- Many Business Consultants charge anywhere from $80.00 to $400.00 an hour, or more. After Orientation, TasteeBQ was given a main SBDC Counselor to help him improve his Business Plan. Then he was eligible to receive more Free 1 Hour Sessions with experts in Marketing and Social Media. They have been an invaluable help and only take 2-3 Hours a month.
5) Receive Help Funding Your Business- Stop wasting hour after hour chasing those Online Business Loan schemes. Believe it or not, TasteeBQ spent days web surfing for leads. Instead of Loan Sharks, he found himself swimming away from lots of Phishes. After a one hour meeting with his knowledgeable SBDC counselor, he walked away with the tools for his company to land expansion help from the big bank Swells Largo. The SBDC can help you find credit for Small Businesses of all shapes and sizes.
Back to the Sharks, from the TV Show “Shark Bait.” Unfortunately, our hero didn’t bring any POWER Rub with him while attending last week’s live taping of the American Muzak Rewards show. TasteeBQ was there, enjoying live music from top acts like Katie Sperry, Justhim Woodlake, Rhiaria, Mylita Cyrcus and Laydie Gotcha. The Sharks must have known that TasteeBQ would be there. Why else would they agree to hop a jet to L.A. and give out a paltry award to the Best Pop/Rock Duo/Group/Band? Of course it was won by Won Direction.
The 4 Sharks waited over 2 1/2 Hours to hit the stage. Could you imagine how much that would cost per hour for a consultation? While sitting around, they pretended to enjoy all of the live music. While secretly, they hoped that TasteeBQ would bring them some BBQ Bacon Popcorn. As a last ditch effort, when they came on stage, the 4 Sharks gave a Free One Minute Consultation on how Forming a Rock Band is like Building a Business. One even looked directly at TasteeBQ and said “You have to Plan, Budget and Execute Baby!” (Like he’s read the Costa Rica Episode of The Adventures of TasteeBQ).
No worries. With help from the SBA and SBDC, our hero will be once again in a room with the Sharks. Their BBQ Bacon Popcorn will be warm and waiting. Follow the above 5 Tips and maybe one day you will end up in a room with them, too.
*As of today, POWER Rub appears at #3 on Google Search for “Gluten-Free BBQ Rubs”. It is still on page 10 for “BBQ Rubs” and moving up. Today California Gold BBQ Rubs is set to surpass 4200 Likes on Facebook.
Special Small Business Saturday Thanks to: SBA, SBDC, WorkSource Center, Wells Fargo for Small Business, Cheech’s Pizza, Baller’s True Value Hardware, Marconda’s Meat’s and Puritan Poultry, Larchmont Village Wine, Spirits and Cheese, Monsieur Marcel Restaurants and Gourmet Markets, Bocatto’s Groceries, Big Hungry Catering, Rubi Studios, Lacey Baker, JCB Consulting, JG Marketing, The Aliso Kitchen, The Graphic Element, Small Business Friends Worldwide via Facebook, Twitter , Linked In and Continuous Inspiration from Hollywood’s Oldest Grill at Musso and Frank Grill.
TasteeBQ vs. The Sharks: http://wp.me/P3B3EW-B
TasteeBQ Discovers the Magic of Cocoa in Costa Rica: http://wp.me/p3B3EW-aH
SBA Links for Small Business Saturday: http://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba_initiatives/small_business_saturday_2013
American Express Small Business Saturday Tools: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/Shop-Small/
American Express Open Forum – Last Minute Marketing Tips for Small Business Saturday: https://www.openforum.com/keywords/small-business-saturday/
SBA Free Business Plan Template and Instructions:
Small Business Administration:
Comprehensive source for providing information, training, loans, etc.. Register here and use free Templet for building a Business Plan
Small Business Development Centers:
Enter your zip code to find the centers nearest you. Partially funded by the SBA, this organization provides classes, seminars, loans and individual business counseling. Call and tell them TasteeBQ sent you.
CA Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development:
Offers resources and help to those trying to start a Small Business in California. Look for similar programs in other states through your local SBA.
This agency has been invaluable for TasteeBQ. WorkSource programs are regional, so use Google to find the agency in your state. They do training for unemployed workers and pair them with businesses. Also offer free training for Small Businesses.
FROM OUR SPONSORS:
L.A. BBQ Catering, Private Lessons, Recipes: www.TasteeBQ.com
Join our Mailing List for the latest Updates and Holiday Discounts. Use form or visit us at: http://www.californiagoldrub.com/contact%20us.html
One thought on “5 Things You Need to Know about the SBA: Small Business Saturday Episode- TasteeBQ VS. The Sharks Part II”
Reblogged this on BBQ CATERING CONFIDENTIAL.